David is a professional musician and director of Ormandy & Stratton Pty. Ltd., a company that has provided production, direction, supervision, consultancy, arranging and composing services to the music industry for over 30 years.
Acoustic Bass, Electric Basses – 4, 5 & 6 string, Fretless bass, Tuba and Euphonium
- Master of Arts (Honours)
- Diploma of Teaching (Sec.)
- Associate Diploma in Jazz Studies
Nick Cave and Warren Ellis (the Bad Seeds) live with Sydney Symphony Orchestra at Sydney Opera House
Skyfall – live film/soundtrack performances with Sydney Symphony Orchestra at Sydney Opera House
Michael Feinstein – live at Sydney Opera House
Lea Salonga – live concerts recorded for PBS America with Sydney Symphony Orchestra at Sydney Opera House
Music Theatre – professional Sydney productions as bassist include:
- The Book of Mormon
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Kinky Boots
- George Girl
- Legally Blonde
- Mary Poppins
- Dr Zhivago
- Priscilla – Queen of the Desert
- The Lion King (Sydney & Shanghai)
- The Producers
- Mamma Mia
- Miss Saigon
- Beauty And The Beast
- A Chorus Line
- The Boy From Oz
- The Wizard of Oz
- Singing In The Rain
- Blood Brothers
- The Man Of La Mancha
- Menopause – the Musical
- Merrily We Roll Along
- Pirates Of Penzance
- Closer Than Ever
- Firing Squad
- Assistant Musical Director for SOCOG Sydney 2000 Olympic Games – Opening & Closing Ceremonies
- Musical Direction, production and performance for the marriage of Erica Baxter to James Packer in Côte d’Azur France – June 2007.
- Music Coordinator and performer – Memorial service for the late Kerry Packer for the nationally televised event from the Sydney Opera House in February 2006
- Orchestra Director for World Youth Day – the Papal Welcome (Barangaroo) and Closing Mass (Randwick Racecourse) in July 2008.
- Event Coordinator for Symphony in the Park with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra on behalf of Parramatta Park March 2009.
Coordinator of Co-curricular Music for Northholm Grammar School (2009- current)
Head of Contemporary Performance: Australian Institute of Music (2000-05). Responsibilities included curriculum design, implementation and coordination of Certificate, Diploma, Bachelor of Music and post-graduate programmes, and management and supervision of 25 part-time staff and 203 students in the division.
- Hot Shoe Shuffle – Australia and international tour, London (Queens Theatre), Japan & New Zealand
- Dancin’ Man
- Dynamite (all for David Atkins Enterprises)
- Cinderella and Aladdin (for IMG)
- Living In The Seventies
Associate Musical Direction
Grease (1992) for Gordon Frost Organisation.
Resident bassist for the Midday Show for the Nine Network from 1988 to 1998. Resident bassist for Afternoon – variety show for the Ten Network in 1984. Numerous television specials including Jim McLeod’s Jazztrack for the ABC T.V., musical direction for This Is Your Life – Debra Byrne, house band for This Is Your Life – David Atkins, Rhonda Burchmore, Maria Venuti and Geoff Harvey.
The Quiet American (starring Michael Caine & Brendan Fraser), Bootmen and Walk The Talk.
Movie soundtracks: include Bootmen and Walk The Talk.
As a bassist has participated in hundreds of recordings for T.V. and radio themes and jingles for campaigns including Coke, Diet Coke, Snickers, Anti-Smoking Campaign, Sustagen, Do The Right Thing, P&O Cruises, Cool Charm and Bell Telecom (USA) to name a few.
Albums include Annie, The Boy from Oz, Grease, Hot Shoe Shuffle, The Wizard Of Oz, Firing Squad, Priscilla – Queen of the Desert, Witches (for ABC) and the soundtrack for the Cats Big Top tour of Australia.
Greg Page (The Wiggles) U.S.A. CD launch in Las Vegas, March 2003.
David has also performed or recorded with many international artists including:
Peter Allen, Tina Arena, Michael Ball, Sarah Blasko, Boyzone with Ronan Keating, Randy Brecker, Eric Burdon, Glen Campbell, Michael Crawford, Randy Crawford, Barry Crocker, Blossom Dearie, Jon English, Georgie Fame, John Farnham, Jose Feliciano, Michael Feinstein, Florence and the Machine, Bruce Forsythe, Rolf Harris, Marcia Hines, Thelma Houston, Tom Jones, Patti LaBelle, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Barry Manilow, Gerry Marsden, Don McLean, Kylie Minogue, James Morrison, Olivia Newton John, Wayne Newton, Sam & Dave, Peter Sarstedt and Trisha Yearwood.
Awarded a Churchill Fellowship in 2000 (to investigate the structure, content and operation of Contemporary popular music programmes in the U.S. & U.K.).
Composer/artist-in-residence at ‘Bundanon’ (Arthur Boyd’s Shoalhaven property) awarded in 2000.
Release of the CD ‘Dumped by a Wave’, a collaboration of art and original music for ten paintings by Kerrie Lester for her exhibition at Australian Galleries in August 2000.